BARC's mission is to provide safe haven for homeless animals and find permanent, loving homes for these animals. The animals in our care receive quality food, shelter, and medical attention. We meet the needs of homeless animals through the assistance of dedicated volunteers, revenues generated from the success of our pet supply business, and from private donations.
The animals in BARC's care receive quality food, shelter, and medical attention. BARC meets the needs of the animals through the assistance of dedicated volunteers, revenues generated from the success of our onsite SHOP, BQE Pet Supply, and from private donations.
Established in 1987, BARC is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit, no-kill, privately funded animal shelter, located in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
Requirements to adopt a BARC animal:
- You must be at least 21 years old
- You must complete the BARC adoption application
- You must bring two pieces of valid (not expired) identification —a Photo ID and Proof of Current Address (utility bill in your names or similar)
- You need the names and telephone numbers of two references who can vouch for your willingness and ability to care for a pet for its full life. We prefer that references are NOT immediate family members. Acceptable references can be roommates, boss/co-workers, friends/colleagues, etc.
- The name and telephone number of your vet if you currently have, or recently had a pet.
- Your dog if you already have one (to make sure the BARC dog will get along with your current dog)
- Any children in the household under 18 (to make sure the adopted animal is a good fit for your entire family)
- If you rent— a copy of your lease or letter from landlord stating you are allowed to have pets.
- We require an adoption fee of $150 per animal.
This fee helps defray the cost of the animal's initial medical treatment and up-keep at the shelter, including: