Many of our adoptions are to out-of-area adopters. The process is, for the most part, the same as it is for in-town adoptions. The adoption fee to out-of-state destinations in the U.S. is $550, which includes air transport, traveling crate, and health certificate. The adoption fee for Canadian destinations is $600 (Canadian). (Please note that there is an additional estimated $80 pick up charge in Canada). RCR takes care of all of the flight arrangements.
Because of the distance, it is not possible for you to meet the dog, in person, unless you come to Houston. We can often send videos and/or do FaceTime interviews to allow you to “meet” the dog.
Why should you consider adopting a dog from Houston?
Houston is the #2 kill city in the U.S. City and County shelters often take in a combined 200-300 animals per day. The number of homeless pets and resulting euthanasias are staggering -- the average "live release rate" from Houston area shelters is only about 35-50%. Houston is estimated to have over 1 million homeless animals. Over 100,000 are killed in Harris Co shelters every year. Red Collar Rescue volunteers work tirelessly to save as many as we can, but the Houston area is saturated with so many pets in need of a home and not enough adopters. To put it simply, we encourage out of state adoptions because it helps us save more lives. We hope that you will consider one of our many adoptable pets who are waiting for a second chance at a forever home - wherever it may be!
If you have questions about Natasha please contact Red Collar Rescue
Red Collar Rescue
Red Collar Rescue is an all volunteer 501 (3)(C) animal welfare charity dedicated to providing rescue services, medical care, foster care, training and adoptive placement to stray and abandoned dogs and cats in Houston and surrounding areas.
Shelter Driving Directions
Red Collar Rescue holds two adoption events each month.
Date: 2nd and 4th Saturdays
Time: 1:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Location: Petsmart, I10/Taylor, 1907 Taylor, Houston, TX
Red Collar Rescue is located in Houston, TX. We adopt out to the greater Houston area as well as the continental US.
Red Collar Rescue works hard to find the perfect home for all the dogs and cats in our care. Listed below is the sequence of events that we go through to assure that our pets and our applicants are the perfect match for each other:
1. Fill out and return our adoption application form.
2. After receiving your application, we will verify with your vet the care on your current or previous animals.
3. We will contact you to discuss your current situation and which pet you are interested in adopting.
4. After discussion, we will arrange a time for you to meet your prospective new family member.
5. If the initial meeting goes well, we make an appt and bring the pet to your home to meet all family members - human and furry.
6. Upon agreement by all parties, the adoption is finalized by signing the adoption contract and making an adoption donation for your newest family member.